Examination over Love in the Time of
Use complete sentences to answer each question and provide specific
examples to support your points.
Objective Short Answer: 50%
- What is the relationship of cholera to love?
- What are the circumstances surrounding Dr. Juvenal Urbinos death? How does he die?
- How is there a love triangle formed between Florentino Ariza, Fermina Daza, and Dr.
- How is Florentino Ariza able to justify his perception that he is remaining true to
Fermina Daza in spite of all his loves?
- How is the marriage between Fermina Daza and Dr. Juvenal Urbino characterized at first?
as the years progress?
- Describe the nature of the relationship Florentino Ariza has with Leona Cassiani? How is
it unique to his other loves?
- What is the significance of the relationship Florentino Ariza has with America Vicuna?
- What are some of the primary obstacles faced by Florentino Ariza and the Widow Urbino
when the two finally come to terms with their love for one another?
- How had the written word initially characterized the relationship between
Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza? a half-century later?
- . In what way do Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza come to spend "forever"
Subjective Essay: 50% Answer two of the following three
questions in essay format.
- Who would have been a better husband for Fermina Daza: Florentino Ariza or Dr. Juvenal
Urbino? Justify your answer.
- What is magical realism? What is it about the text that establishes this genre? Give
examples to support your answer.
- What is the symbolism inherent within the text? How does Marquez use symbolism to
develop his theme of requited love?
Return to Non-Western Literature Syllabus Page