Review Questions for Bound Feet and
- Why is Chang Yu-i called "Quin Be Be"?
- What is the root cause of Natashas identity crisis?
- What did Hsu Chih-Mo introduce to Chinese poetry?
A Woman is Nothing
- Why is a woman considered "nothing" in China?
- At what age did Chang Yu-i marry?
- Why did people repay Babas medical services in trade and not in cash?
- What is the 1st lesson of filial piety?
- What is the 2nd?
- What was Babas ruling passion?
- Why does Chang Yu-i often feel she has had no life of her own?
- What happened the year that Chang Yu-i was born that gave her an impending crisis of
identity of her own?
- What is the meaning and significance of Pang-Mei?
- Why did Natasha not want to be Chinese?
- How did the tradition of bound feet begin? What exactly does it entail? What does it
- How did Chang Yu-i escape the torture of having her feet bound?
- How did this handicap her in the eyes of others?
Fortune, Rank, Longevity, Happiness:
- How did Natashas amah Xu Ma come to be married?
- How did Xu Ma come to raise Peng-Meis father?
- How did the Chang family take the misfortune of becoming poor?
- What were the four classes of Chinese society and in what order were they established?
- What is the significance of the rice bowl?
- Why did Baba move his family from the Boashan family home?
Beautiful Country, Bright Nation:
- What is the legacy of the Changs? What is the different standard by which men and women
are held to that legacy?
- How had the family lost their money after the move?
- What is the significance of calling the mothers family "outside"
- What, according to Confucius, is the role of Man? How does his observance of this
reflect on his family?
- What has become the new standard of learning in China, as exemplified by Babas
- Why was the old examination system abolished?
- Why would people have been sent to Japan to learn the ways of the West?
- What are the Three Bonds of Subordination and what do they signify?
- What are the Five Reverent Tiers?
A Girls Education:
- What is the difference between Natashas view of her Chinese heritage and the view
of her parents?
- What is the difference between Natashas fathers advice concerning how to
doeal with discrimination and her mothers?
- Why was Yu-is betrothed out of birth order?
- What is a womans virtue?
- According to Yu-i, what motivated her desire for learning?
- Why were the teachers more lenient with 1st Sister than with Yu-i?
- Why had Yu-i advised against 1st Sisters marriage?
Plum Blossom in Snow:
- Why does Natasha push the White man away in her dream?
- What is Natashas mothers expectation of the best of both worlds?
- How do the backgrounds of Natashas mother and father differ?
- How did Natasha feel after breaking off her relationship with the non-Chinese?
- By what standard did 4th Brother choose Yu-is future husband?
- Why is the Chinese way of betrothal better than the Western, according to Yu-i?
- How does the fortuneteller determine that the match between Hsu Chih-mo and Yu-i is not
- What does she do to resolve this?
- What is significant about Yu-is dowry?
- What are Yu-is expectations of Hsu Chih-mo?
- What role does the Hsu family have in Xiashi?
- Why did Yu-i wear a pink wedding dress?
- What had changed in China in 1911?
- What characterized the wedding night that would play a significant role throughout the
Neither Three Nor Four:
- What are two worries that Natasha has concerning her future marriage?
- What are the two pieces of advice Yu-is mother gives her before her marriage?
- Why was Yu-i closer to Lao Taitai than she was to her husband?
- How has Hsu Chih-mo changed the nature of Chinese poetry?
- How did Lao Ye hold on to his money?
- Why does Yu-i believe her feet became her enemy?
- What does it mean, "neither three nor four"?
- Why was it tradition to conceal the gender of the child from the gods?
According to Your Wishes:
- Why would Hsu Chih-mo desire to stimulate national shame?
- What is Yu-is role as mother to her child?
- What was the significance of the tray which held the tailors ruler, the small
abacus, the calligraphy brush, and the coins?
- What is the significance of Shandongs being given to Japan after World War I?
- What are the three choices for a divorced woman?
- What set Hsu Chih-mo apart from the others in the crowd when Yu-is boat docked?
- How does Yu-i fit in with Hsu Chih-mos friends?
- What is the realization Yu-i has of the change in Hsu Chih-mo?
- What are the two reasons a man takes a concubine?
Bound Feet and Western Dress:
- What reaction does Natasha have to being told shes no longer Chinese? On what do
you think that decision was based?
- What does Natasha describe as her problem with her peer groups?
- Why does Yu-i not approach her husband with her feelings?
- What command does Hsu Chih-mo give Yu-i on learning of her second pregnancy?
- Why does Yu-i begin to question his authority after this?
- Why does Yu-i decide to have the abortion?
- What is Yu-is consolation when faced with the prospect of meeting Hsu
- What confounds Yu-i upon meeting Miss Ming?
- Why does Hsu Chih-mo ask for a divorce?
- What is an "autumn fan"? How is it significant to Yu-i?
- Why doesnt Yu-i commit suicide?
- Where does Yu-i turn when Hsu Chih-mo abandons her?
A Better Wife:
- Why is Natasha scared of marriage?
- Why is Yu-i nervous about going back to China after her divorce?
- What are the "Seven Outs" for a wife?
- Why does Yu-i move to the countryside after her fourth month of pregnancy?
- Why does Yu-i become "comfortable" with the idea of the divorce? Why does she
decide to stay in Europe?
- Why does Yu-i follow Seventh Brother to Germany?
- Why did Yu-i cry when she learned the gender of her child?
- Why was Hsu Chih-mo in such a rush to procure the divorce?
- What is the irony in Hsu Chih-mo marveling over his child?
- What does Yu-i decide to study in Berlin?
- What is the difference between the Confucian method and the Pestalozzi?
- Why did Yu-i and Dora always call Bide by the German name of Peter?
- Why hadnt Nora ever married?
- What is happening to Peter, culturally, as he grows older?
- Why doesnt Yu-i spend much time with the Chinese community in Berlin?
- What two reasons prevent Yu-i from pursuing the relationship with Lu Jiaren?
- Why is Lao Taitai insistent that Yu-i return?
- What is the impact of Peters death on the family?
- Why wouldnt Lin Huiyin have married Hsu Chih-mo? Why is this significant?
- What were Lu Xaiomans greatest attributes?
- What is the significance of a sentimental journey?
- What facilitated Yu-is move back to China?
- What changes does Yu-i notice have taken place in China in her absence?
- Why did Lao Taitai and Lao Ye leave Xiashi?
- Whats the difference between funeral arrangements in the West and those in the
A Persons Title:
- How did Liang Qichao shock the guests at Hsu Chih-mos wedding?
- Why does Fourth Brother insist on relinquishing the lease on the family house after Mama
and Babas death?
- What is Mamas ghosts reaction to this?
- How does Yu-i become vice-president of the Shanghai Womens Savings Bank?
- What kind of jewelry did women store at the bank?
- What is remarkable about Yu-is schedule?
- What is the importance of a persons title?
- How was Lu Xaiomans divorce different from Yu-is?
- What causes the Laos to want to leave Hsu Chih-mos house?
- How did Lu Xaioman become addicted to opium?
- What role does Yu-i end up playing between her in-laws and her ex?
- Under what condition does Yu-i come to take care of Lao Taitai on her deathbed?
- What role does she take at the funeral?
The End of My Story:
- Why did Yu-is interpretation of the divorce trouble Natasha?
- What does Natasha notice about the geography of Shanghai?
- Why did Yu-i lose faith in the love she had supposed Hsu Chih-mo and Lu Xaioman to have?
- How does Yu-i break the news to Lao Ye?
- What does Lu Xaioman want to do with her husbands corpse? Why does Yu-i object?
- What is love, according to Yu-i?
- Why does Yu-i continue supporting Lu Xiaoman even after Lao Yes death?
- Why does Yu-i thank Hsu Chih-mo for the divorce?
- Why did Yu-i leave Shanghai?
- Why does Yu-i consult her son before agreeing to marry Dr. Su?
- Why does Yu-i say that she, perhaps, loved Hsu Chih-mo more than his other women loved
Return to Nono-Western Literature Syllabus Page